The History of Pyrland Farm
Pyrland Farm is a large Grade II listed Victorian farmhouse, situated within a walled garden with a range of traditional stone barns, old stables & cobbled paths.
In the early 1800's the farmhouse was owned by the Musgrave family. The family had nine children, a governess and six house staff. Thirty men were employed on the farm, which had over 300 acres of land, stretching all the way to the river Tone.
Mr Musgrave, a prominent merchant banker in Taunton had the misfortune to invest in the canal system and lost the majority of the family wealth when the railways came along. He was forced to sell the house off and it then changed hands several times before Mr and Mrs Read Senior moved in, in October 1949.
Over the years the farm has been built back up to a dairy farm supporting 150 cows and is continuing into the next generation with the current occupants, James and Mary Read, and their four children Georgina, Harry, Samantha and Emma.